John W. Forkner
John W. Forkner was born January 19, 1967 in Tahlequah, Oklahoma. In 1989, John earned a Bachelor of Arts in History from Arkansas (now Lyon) College in Batesville, Arkansas. He attended Vanderbilt University School of Law and earned his juris doctorate in 1992. While at Vanderbilt, John served as an Associate Editor of the Vanderbilt Law Review.
In 1992, John began his practice in Springfield, Missouri, with the law firm Hulston, Jones, Gammon & Marsh, focusing on administrative law issues related to workplace safety and labor relations. In 1994, he accepted a position as an Assistant Public Defender in Buffalo, Missouri, providing criminal defense to indigent clients. In 1995, John was selected to open and manage the Regional Child Support Office in Bolivar, Missouri. As an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney for a five-county region, John represented the Missouri Division of Child Support Enforcement in civil court actions, and prosecuted hundreds of criminal nonsupport cases. From 2003 to early 2005, John worked with the Bolivar, Missouri law firm Douglas, Haun, Kirksey & Heidemann, P.C., as an associate attorney, focusing his practice on criminal defense, personal injury, and employment matters, and serving as the City Prosecutor for Bolivar, Missouri.
John is a member of the Missouri Bar and is admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri. His practice areas include criminal defense, traffic law, personal injury, general litigation and trial practice.
Outside the office, John is most often found outside. An avid camper and paddler, John is active with the Ozark Mountain Paddlers canoe and kayak organization. Most recently, John traveled the length of the Grand Canyon on an oar-raft, and can be found on the Buffalo National River in Arkansas year-round.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law - Felony Defense
- Criminal Law - Misdemeanor Defense
- Criminal Law - Traffic Violations
- Search and Seizure Protection
- State Appellate Practice
- Missouri, 1992
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri, 1992
- Vanderbilt University School of Law, Nashville, Tennessee
- Lyon College, Batesville, AR,
Honors: Summa Cum Laude
Past Employment Positions
- Douglas, Hawn, Kirksey & Heidemann, Associate Attorney, 2003 - 2005
- Regional Child Support Office, Assisting Prosecuting Attorney, 1995 - 2003
- Holston, Jones, Gammon & Marsh, Associate Attorney, 1992 - 1993
- Missouri Public Defender's Office, Assistant Public Defender, 1993 - 1995
- Kappa Sigma
- 1967, Tahlequah, Oklahoma, United States of America